Friday, August 27, 2010

Back To School

A few things I'd like to document about Back To School:
When we first found out what teachers the kids had and who was in their classes I immediately started to worry for Emma. She had a teacher she didn't really want and no friends in her class. All her friends stayed together in a different class except her, but the worst part was that a couple of girls that had been mean to Emma last year were in her class. After hearing this Emma had a really hard day. She was very sad and was dreading the school year. I told Emma I would see what I could do.
After pondering what I should do I decided I would talk to the principal and explain to her that Emma has had a hard past two years at school and that she really needs to have a good year before going into Junior High. I had never tried to switch classes before for my kids and was a little unsure of what to expect, but I had to do something. I told Emma my plan and then totally out of the blue she proceeded to tell me that she didn't think I should say anything. She said that she won't always be able to have her way and that she would have to learn to deal with upsets for the rest of her life and that she might as well start now. I was floored. What happened to Emma? She was like a totally different person. So after pondering some more, I decided I would honor and respect Emma's wishes and not say anything to the principal.
A couple of days later I got an email from the school saying that for various reasons they had to redo all 6th grade class lists. When we went to see the updated list we learned that Emma was moved to the teacher she was hoping for AND the two mean girls were no longer in her class.
What a tender mercy that was. I am so grateful for that experience. It reminded me how strong Emma is and that our Heavenly Father is very aware of each one of us and our situations.
*
Ella, my baby, is in Kindergarten. We went to her orientation and she was so very excited and everything went very well. At the end when we were walking to our car I noticed Ella's ankle was all red. I tried to remember if she had red socks on. No she didn't. I stopped her and pulled up her pants. The whole back part of her ankle was all bloody. She had blood all over her adorable new pants and it was pooling in her adorable new shoe. She had no idea. I took off her shoe and carried her to the car with her ankle dripping blood the whole way. I initially wanted to walk the kids to school but had the thought to go ahead and drive. If Ella and I had to walk home that day we both would have been miserable. That was just one more tender mercy, that I was given the thought to drive.
We got home and as I got Ella all cleaned up I asked her what she thought happened. She had no idea. She was just as baffled as I was. She wasn't even crying either. She was being so brave. I noticed something protruding from her wound. It was fleshy tissue. I know, so disgusting. I wasn't sure if I should take her to the doctor. I decided that because the bleeding had stopped I would just put a band aid on it and watch it for the next couple of days. It is almost all healed up now and I am still wondering what in the world happened to Ella's poor ankle.
*
As I mentioned Emma is now in 6th grade, Eva is in 4th, Ben is in 2nd and little Gal is in Kindergarten. I have all four kids going to the same school. CRAZY! I told myself not to volunteer this year.
I need a serious break from volunteering, or so I thought.
Last night, at Back To School Night I signed up to help in all four classes AND help with a handful of parties.
Why do I do this to myself?
Truth is, I love it. I love getting to know the teachers and I love being able to take a little peek into my kids' day. So, I am going to be busy once again this year, but it's for a good cause, right?
*
I am hopelessly devoted to my kids.
I miss them SO much already.
Just like last year I am having a serious case of the back to school blues. I take comfort in the fact that it only lasts a short while and then I wonder how in the world I was ever so down in the dumps. I think I get so down because I am realizing I only have a short time left with my kids, in the grand scheme of things.
I used to want time to speed up. Now I am pleading for it to slow down.
Having said that, I am really excited to clean and organize after a crazy fun filled Summer. I am looking forward to dejunking every space in my home. I am also looking forward to something else which I will elaborate on in another post.
Happy Back To School!
(at least that is what I am trying to tell myself )

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

They look so cute!

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

We are so proud of the grown up way Emma prepared herself to deal with a bad situation. Ella must have been so excited she didn't even know she was hurt. School starting is always a two edge sword. Your glad when school starts, but you miss them too. School seemed harder to me, trying to help with homework, than when I went to school. They do all look cute.

Shill and Company said...

Wow, that's a great looking group of kids. I can't believe how the years are flying by. Your children are all so wonderful. You & Lee know how to make 'em. I know this year will be a terrific one.

Laura said...

Amen to everything you said. I too was praying for time to speed up when I was in the diaper/teething/potty training trenches... but now pleading for time to STOP! You're so right about the grand scheme of things and realizing that we really only have our kids for a short snipit of life. I feel your pain.
What a sweet story about Emma and how things have a way of working themselves out. One of our favorite sayings around the house is "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit."
Thanks for posting about this Lara, its like a window into my own life!!