Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer Catch Up

I feel bad that I haven't blogged in a while, but I just haven't felt like sitting at the computer much. It seems that lately I'd rather read a good book or be outside. I also feel like I haven't really had a whole lot to say. You go through that too sometimes, right? There are a few things that I feel I need to include in my blog for journaling purposes so this post may seem a little random.
Ella had a rough start early on in her soccer season. She REALLY did not like seeing the other teams score goals against her team. She would cry and refuse to play whenever it happened. Lee and I worked with her though, and explained what it means to be a good sport. We also told her that soccer isn't just about scoring goals, it's about having a fun time too. The next thing we know Ella was clapping for the other teams whenever they scored. She also decided that she liked being the one out in front scoring the goals for her team...over and over again. She ended the season scoring goal after goal. I am so proud of her, not just because she scored a lot of goals, but more importantly because she learned how to be a good sport. Way to go Ella!!
Ben finished his soccer season strong this year. He also finished his first season of Tball. He had a really good time. He said he enjoyed Tball even more than soccer. It was really neat to see him do something he thoroughly enjoyed. He is excited for coach pitch next year. Go Ben!

Lee and I dropped the kids off at my parents house and took a super quick weekend road trip to Cali to see one of my bestest friends get married. It started off as sort of a downer when we got a flat tire near Saint George. We tried to put on our happy faces (as you can see by the picture) and not let it get us down. We stayed the night in St. George and had to wait for a tire place to open the next morning. When they finally opened it took the guy two hours to put on a new tire. Because of this delay we were not able to meet up with Eric and Julie and the kids. I was quite peeved at that point and started to wonder if we made the right decision to go.


We made it with just enough time to say hi to Nani, get dressed and get over to the wedding. I then realized we definately made the right choice to come down. Marissa was as gorgeous as ever and I was so happy to see her so happy. The past few years have been a little rough for her. Now she has an incredible husband and can start a fresh new chapter in her book. I LOVE that girl!!

Not only did I get to see Marissa married, but we also got to see my nephews Cashton and Scott and spend a little time with Lee's brothers, Kristin and Nani too. We don't get to see them as much as we would like to so it was very very nice. I am so glad we were able to go down to Cali even if it was a super quick trip.


Something very exciting that has happened to Ben is that he started Karate. And boy does he love it. It's karate this and karate that all day long at our house. He cannot wait for the days when he goes to karate. I love seeing him so happy. Right now I am thinking goodbye to soccer and maybe even baseball. I have a feeling karate is here to stay.

This picture was taken during our Fourth of July festivities with Grammie and Papa. It's the only picture I took but it pretty much sums up the day...smiles on everyone's faces including mine and Lee's. We all love the tradition of going up to my parents, the small town parade, a BBQ, and the HUGE fireworks while we make smores in the backyard. It is something we look forward to all year long. When I look at this picture in the future I will remember this day with a big smile on my face.

I just thought these pictures of the kids were so funny. I had to include them.
We have been enjoying our summer. I hope you have too.

8 comments:

Allen's said...

Darling pictures...gotta love summertime!

Danika said...

I didn't realize you went to CA for Marissa's wedding! She looks fantastic (and sounds really happy on Facebook). I was just in HB last week (I'm working on the blog post) and thought of you while I was eating Las Barcas! :)

Shill and Company said...

I can see why you haven't been able to find the time to blog. You guys have been enjoying your summer! Loved the update. Glad to see so many good things have been happening for all of you.

Ange said...

Ella's soccer story was cracking me up! And looking at Ben doing Karate now and loving it, enjoying baseball over soccer - it really is true that every child (and adult for that matter) has different interests, and it's awesome to find those things that they truly enjoy and can 'shine' at.
Our boys did Karate when they were probably about Ben's age, and honestly, I wish wish wish we would have kept them in it (kind of one of my 'regrets' actually).
Looks like you guys are loving every minute of Summer!!

Lauren said...

I love the update. It looks like it has been a great summer at your house.

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

Great pics and thanks for updating!!!!!The kids have all grown up in so many ways. Continue to have a great summer.

Julie said...

*sigh*
1. you made the right choice.
2. we were bummed to miss you, too. SO bummed! next time!
3. Marissa is stunning.
4. love Ben-son (you know like Daniel-son)
5. love the truck-load of kids...makes me smile, too.
6. did you get a new camera? your pictures are amazing!
7. (last one. promise.) I'm sad that Dad has broken up with his surfer-self and officially calls himself "x".

miss you guys tons!

xo

Cheryl said...

So cute!!