When we discovered we were pregnant with Eva, we were so excited. We were a little nervous because little Emma was only nine months old at the time. Eva was the easiest pregnancy I had, physically. I only gained 25 pounds with her and didn't have to be on bed rest, unlike the 75 pounds I gained and 2 1/2 months of bed rest I was on with Emma. It wasn't until the week before she was due that my blood pressure went crazy high. They decided to induce me and I gave birth to Eva without any problems.
Emotionally, my pregnancy with Eva was the hardest. We were told early on that the ultrasounds showed cysts on her brain. We were also told that sometimes this meant there could be serious problems. Other times it could mean nothing. It didn't help that when Lee and I were engaged we both confessed that we always thought we would have a handicapped child. That is a strange thing to have in common. I just knew this pregnancy was going to be that child. We hoped for the best but also tried to prepare for the worst.
When Eva was born everything checked out. She was healthy! It was quite a moment for us. She did swallow a lot of meconium and had to be taken away to be monitored but other than that things looked great. The next day a nice little nurse came to talk to me and let me know that Eva had two holes in her heart and that I would need to get in touch with a cardiologist. She also mentioned almost under her breath that Eva had stopped breathing during the night and turned blue but that she "seemed fine now". My initial reaction was one of anger. Why didn't they come get me? Why wasn't I informed earlier? Then I convinced myself that those nurses and doctors knew much more than me and if they said that things seemed fine than I was sure they were right.
I took her to the cardiologist and didn't get a ton of answers to questions, only things like "Well, the holes could close up. We'll just have to watch and see. Come back and see me in a month."
Eva always seemed to be in pain. Things just didn't seem right. She would just randomly start screaming. And then she had what I thought was a seizure. I rushed her to the doctor who then told me to get her to the hospital. Her doctor was pretty sure she knew what was going on but you can never be too safe so for the next couple of days Eva was poked and prodded and underwent every scary test imaginable. And then came the results.
Reflux. I was relieved it wasn't anything more serious but still worried about her quite a bit. I knew the next little while was going to be a challenge. Eva was put on expensive formula (Alimentum) - that smelled horrible - and expensive medication (Zantac and Reglan). She had to be propped up at all times, even when she slept, because she would choke on her spit up and stop breathing. Lee and I got pretty much no sleep for the first 6 months because we were so terrified of what might happen to her if we closed our eyes. My mom was my angel during this time. We lived only 7 houses down from her and she was always over checking up on us and helping with Emma who was still so young and demanding of my time. She took over so I could get rest. She was my saving grace.
We never got used to the projectile spitting up. We even swore that she aimed sometimes. And the overwhelming stench that permeated our home was like nothing we had ever experienced. It would hit you like a tidal wave as soon as you opened the door. She had a hard time putting on weight and there was no change with her heart issues. This became our new "normal".
I was always very grateful that Eva wasn't worse than she was. I knew of so many families that had it so much worse than me. But I was human and I had moments when I didn't think I could handle it. But I saw little miracles happen in our life every day that kept me going.
When Eva was nine months old we made the decision to move to Utah. It was a hard decision. Living in HB near my mom was all I knew. I wasn't sure if I was ready for a "big out of state move". But Eva's Cardiologist gave me some names of good doctors that she knew that practiced near where we would be living. That helped ease my nerves just a little.
I will never forget the last appointment I had with Eva's Cardiologist before we moved. She sat me down and, with a big smile on her face told me that both of Eva's holes had closed up completely. She assured me that I would never have to worry about Eva having a heart condition, that it was as if she was never born with them. Again, another miracle. There were many prayers of thanks given that day.
In addition to that, as soon as we moved I noticed Eva wasn't spitting up any more. It was like someone had reached inside her and shut off the Reflux switch. We couldn't believe it. She was cured just like that. Another miracle. All her problems stopped as quickly as they began. Not only did I gain a baby who finally smelled good but I gained a testimony of the reality of miracles. They DO happen. This time of year when we all remember the miraculous birth and life of our Saviour, I also get to remember the miracles that took place during the first year of Eva's life.
I asked Eva a bunch of questions and very reluctantly she answered them. I stole the idea from my friend Danika's blog. She is always so good at jotting down family history. I think I will do this for each of my kids' birthdays this year...
Favorite number: 16
Favorite Drink: Sprite
Favorite Food: Sloppy Joes
Favorite Game: Uno
Favorite Animal: Cat
Favorite Song: I don't have one, but favorite singer is Miley Cyrus
Favorite TV Show: Hannah Montana
Favorite Movie: The Princess And The Frog
I feel sad when: I get hurt
I feel mad when: people be mean
I feel proud when: when I get good grades
I feel scared when: people scare me
I like it when my friends: be nice
I like it when my teacher: gives us Fruities
I like it when I: be nice
On the weekends I: play with friends
During summer I: go to Cherry Hill
At school I: work
I am good at: art
I wish I could: fly
I am special because: ? Because Eva couldn't think of anything, I will say that she is special because she is caring and patient and kind and beautiful and smart and talented and humble. I could go on and on.
Who is your best friend? Miah
Why? Because she is nice
What makes you laugh? jokes
If you were a parent for a day, which rule would you get rid of? chores
What do you want to be when you grow up? an artist
Do you think it would be hard to be a mom or dad? Yes
Why? having to deal with mad kids
If you could have a magical power, what would it be? Freezing people
What is the best thing about being 9? Being 9
What is the best thing about being YOU? ? Since I can't really answer this for Eva I will only say that I wish I could be half the person she is. She amazes me every day.

9 comments:
What an adventure you've had with her! And so fun to hear her answers to the questions, what a treasure to look back each year at how the answers change!
I think I spent almost more time with Eva than Emma when they were little. It is so good to have those scary days over with. She has really grown up to be a sweet young lady. Happy Birthday again Eva. Sorry the snow was too bad and papa was too sick to be there for your party. Hope to see you all for Christmas.
Thanks for the compliment. I had never heard her story. Recording personal & family history is well worth the time. It's always good to look back and be reminded the miracles and blessings and how far we've come.
PS - send me your address so I can send you our christmas card!
danikapark (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
Ok so I am always finding more and more things that we have in common. I laughed hysterically when you were talking about spit up and smells - it brings back memories! All 3 of mine had reflux! The boys were the worst...Jantz even had to go to the U to see a pediatric GI specialist. Oh the joy!
I am so glad everything checked out with EVA. She is special! But then, all your kids are. I loved the questionnaire you did. I do it only every so often, not as much as I should, but I don't usually post it...I am going to now because it was so fun to learn about EVA! I loved the picture of her opening her camera, the look on her face, as well as the one of Emma's is priceless!
Happy Birthday Eva!! Who would know such a sweet little girl would have such a rough first year! It was fun to learn more about your sweet, beautiful daughter!
Happy Birthday Eva! I cannot believe that we each seem to have stories of complete blessing. Enjoy each and every year!
What a neat story, and even better that it ended so well. BTW, Faith (my 9 year old) also showed cysts on her brain through the ultrsound. Crazy.
This is beautiful! I can't even remember all those things you endured her first 9 months. But I do remember the miracle of no more reflux when you moved here! We love you Eva! You are joy!
Sweet Eva. Wow, she has overcome some pretty amazing things in such a short amount of time. We are so happy that she is such a healthy child now. Eva is such a humble, sweet, and beautiful girl. We are so lucky to know her. Looks like she had a wonderful birthday!
Post a Comment