Friday, October 16, 2009

Cali Fall 09

For UEA Weekend we decided to pack up and head on down to our old stomping grounds. We had a blast and didn't want it to end. Here are a few highlights of our trip:

We got to visit Lee's 85 year old uncle, Leon. He has been battling skin cancer for quite some time. In fact, his doctors told him over two years ago that he had 6 months to live. Turns out his once black, death like arm is looking better and even starting to regrow hair. Leon believes it never was cancer and is confident he is on the road to recovery. It's pretty crazy to think that the doctor's originally wanted to amputate his arm.

Surf City USA aka Huntington Beach, California is where I was born and raised. Lee was raised in just the next city over, Fountain Valley. Although it was a little chilly we couldn't NOT go to the beach. Here are some pics...




Our nephew, Scott was our 5th child for the trip. We absolutley loved spending time with him.



We also spent some time with Eric and Julie and kids. We watched a little conference, swam a little and Julie made the best, yummiest dinner we've had in a long time.



Another thing we did was go to Togos for lunch. This is where Lee worked as a teenager.
As a teenager Lee worked with this guy, Greg. Now Greg owns the place and he let Lee make all of our sandwiches.

Lee said it was just like riding a bike. The kids thought is was SO funny that Daddy got to make their sandwiches.



We also went to Disneyland:
We didn't have to wait super long for the rides which was nice and it was so fun because for the first time everyone was tall enough to go on all the rides. Ella even went on Space Mountain, although I don't think she will go on it again for a long time. Disneyland really is a magical place...an expensive magical place. I could dedicate a whole post to my thoughts on how expensive Disneyland has gotten. It makes me mad. I remember when Disneyland was $24 for one person. Now it is over $70!!!! I am glad the kids had a good time because it may be the last time we are able to go with those prices. Thank goodness for Nani who helped us with the outrageous fee. We couldn't have gone without her.


The girls loved meeting Tinkerbell and her friend, Iridessa...


While us girls were meeting the fairies, the boys were over at the Jedi training. Afterwards Ben and Scott made their own lightsabers...

It is really fun going during this time of year when all the Halloween decorations are out. This was part of a big Dia de los Muertos display they had...


The Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer's Island...

Ella taking a quick break...
It's not every day you can see these guys at Disneyland so I had to get a picture. Sally and Jack are also one of Ben's all time favorite charcters so I am glad he was able to see them.

We also spent lots of time with Lee's family and got to meet our new adorable nephew, Cashton. We had so much fun. This little vacation was a much needed trip away from our reality which is a little stressful at the moment. Thank you so much, Nani and everyone else for making our stay amazing. It was exactly what our family needed.

10 comments:

Mechelle said...

I am glad you got away. You deserve it. I hope you are feeling better too=)

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

Looks like it was fun. Glad you are better.

Allen's said...

Sounds like such a fun trip...I am extremely jealous, as are my kids! :)

Jason said...

What a fun trip! i can't wait to get back to Disney Land again. I so admire your free spirit. I love how you just take off and go back to cali with out obsessing for days and doing 20 hours of internet research, like I do.

ChristianZ said...

I didn't know that about Togo's.

Shill and Company said...

I'm so glad that you guys were able to have such a wonderful vacation. I am sure that it passed by much too quickly. It's nice to have you all back home though. :)

Ange said...

Sounds like COMPLETE amounts of much deserved FUN!
...and I AGREE - Disneyland IS a magical place - I love it there!

Laura said...

WHAT FUN!! Great pictures, Lara... the colors at the beach make me want to be there!
Ok, that freaks me out about the skin cancer thing. I have a few spots I need to get checked out, you've definitely inspired me (with Lee's Uncle's story) to go get them checked out.
Glad you're feeling better... everyone is sick these days.

Jewels said...

How Fun!! That hot tub looks amazing!! We usually go to Disneyland in the Fall, it is the perfect time to go! The beach looks like a blast, so glad you had fun!!

Tayli Lundquist said...

you guys looked that you had a great time!!! Love you all!