Friday, October 23, 2009

Organic


One thing that happened while we were in Cali that I feel deserves it's own post was when we went to Old Spaghetti Factory for a big family dinner. It has become tradition since Lee's father passed away three years ago to continue to celebrate his birthday by everyone going out to dinner together. So that is what we were doing. All of my lovely children decided they needed to use the restroom at the same time so I took them. While the kids were washing their hands I noticed another mom staring at them. She asked me if they were all mine. I said Yes. She got a shocked look on her face. She then said,

"Wow! They all look so healthy...so organic!"

I immediately thanked her, assuming it was a compliment. But the more I thought about it the more I wondered if it really was a compliment or not.

Help me! What did she mean? We've never been called organic before. Was she saying that my kids looked like hippie kids...like plain Janes? Lee thinks she may have meant they were natural beauties. I am not convinced that's what she meant.

Is being called organic a good thing?

9 comments:

Danika said...

I think it's a compliment, especially since she specifically used the word 'healthy' along with it.

Cheryl said...

I agree with Lee--natural beauties!!

Jewels said...

What a funny comment!! Well you guys know those weird Californians best but hello, your kids are all absolutely adorable so whatever she meant it had to be good. MMMM, Spaghetti Factory is my FAVORITE!!

Jewels said...

Nice dance moves tonight by the way!!!

Mara said...

"organic" is a huge compliment!!! it means naturally beautiful, unprocessed (as in not all dolled up) genuine, and healthy

Allen's said...

Definitely take it as a compliment....your kids are darling! We love 'em!

Laura said...

I think it was definitely a nice thing... I bet she meant that they look healthy, vibrant, with great color and form... or something like that :) :)! I think organic always means something good...
But yes, kind of a strange adjective.

Kristine said...

That's funny to compliment kids and call them organic. But it definitely was meant as a good thing. A stranger once said about one of my kids "Oh, what a perfect little Aryan child." I wasn't sure how to take that either. Like I was purposely breeding little White Supremacists. I'd much rather they be called healthy and organic.

Mom & Dad Primm said...

Lara, I stalked your blog today, hope you don't mind.

"Organic= grown under pure conditions and without artificial ingredients or enhancements."

And I think the shoe fits nicely.You have a beautiful family.