Well folks, TV Turnoff Week starts in just a few hours. How do you feel about that? We usually participate about four out of the seven days...we meaning the kids. (I never took it upon myself to be included in this.) Honestly I think if it were just the TV we were foregoing for a week we would be OK. But taking out video games AND computer stuff as well as the TV has me a little worried.
Nevertheless, we have all committed to going one whole week without any of it.
This includes me too for the first time. I am excited. I want to show the kids there is more to life than their electronic delights.
I also want to show myself that I can do it. Now, for me this will mean no blogging, no Facebook, No Biggest Loser, and what will definately be the hardest part of the week...not being able to see Adam Lamberts performance on American Idol.
Hard, yes.
But not impossible.
Wish me luck. I will be keeping a journal so that come a week from now, I can blog all about it.
Goodbye
4 days ago
9 comments:
Good for you and good luck! If I want my children to still be living at the end of the week, we shouldn't participate. Not that I let them watch/play very often, but most days it's the only thing that allows me to cook dinner in some semblance of peace! And me giving up the computer...never gonna happen, so I won't set myself up for failure.
Wow, what a great idea!! We REALLY should participate in our house. My husband is pretty much addicted to his TV.
Funny I just did a new post and realize our posts have the same title. :)
Good luck this week! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
Jessica
Good luck, not an easy task! I think it is a great idea for kids to learn that there is so more for them to do than to spend time in front of the T.V. I have to be honest and say I need the computer to do my temple scheduling every other week and genealogy, and I do look forward to the blogs from family members, but I could do without the T.V. if I had to. I would get more reading done. It would have been much harder when I had kids at home.
I just thought I would let you know that while Ben was at our house this afternoon he told Connor that it was turn off the TV week and they needed to do something else. It was neat to see him "stick to his guns" even though he wasn't home. Way to go Ben!
Wow. You are good!
Tyler informed me that they apparently didn't check the Jazz schedule before proclaiming it no-TV week. "Who would schedule THAT right during the PLAYOFFS?" was his question. Sheesh!
So it was a definite no-go for him.
Emma decided in the morning she was going to do it - she would be brave, and creative. However, at 4:45 Disney channel won out.
t's quite pathetic.
HOWEVER....there IS good news coming. We officially have put in our notice to turn off the directTV, so starting in another week or so - there won't be so many TV watching options available. In fact, Emma was panicking a little bit - wondering if Cyber Chase and Curious George are really going to be the only things to watch from now on.
Not being a TV watcher myself...I can't wait!
Seriously? TV turn off week includes turning the computer off too? You're good Lara- real good. I made myself go without the computer for one day and that was a challenge.
I didn't even know about TV turn off week. My kids would miss the Wii. They don't play it everyday but the second they can't have something then it suddenly becomes very interesting. Good luck this week!
We have participated in this every year in the past, but this year some funny comments were made by my children about it.
Hannah: "So it's TV turn off week. I don't know if I want to do it this year. All we will get for a reward is something like a pencil."
Ian: "If they (school) really want us to spend more time outside playing, being with our family etc. they should not give us so much homework."
Needless to say, we won't be participating this year. One of our favorite things to do on weekends is our Friday night movie night. The kids don't want to give that up either.
So... how did it go?
Post a Comment