I know that most of you have had many sleepless nights wondering how our TV turnoff week has been. (ha ha) Although it did not last the full 7 days I am happy to say it was a success.
I am so impressed with my children. I had an idea to keep a journal to write down all the negative feelings/issues that came up as a result of not watching TV, not going on the computer, and not playing video games. I thought that maybe this would help me address them properly.
Well, I did not write down one word. There never was an issue. My kids were so on board with this idea they were actually being examples to me. I never heard one complaint the whole 5 days we participated.
We played more together as a family which was great. We talked more too. And most importantly all of their Webkinz were still happy and thriving.
Some may think that we quit two days early. I see it as having five days of total success. The week went so well that when the weekend came I decided to let the kids decide if they wanted to continue the challenge for the last two days. They decided they wanted to watch TV, so I let them.
I think I had a slightly harder time than my kids. I learned that I am definitely a Blogger over a Facebooker. I did not miss FB but I really missed checking every one's blogs and posting on my own. My blog is truly my journal and to have that taken away was tough.
Even not being able to watch TV was tougher than I thought it was going to be for me. That is my way of winding down at the end of a long day. I will usually watch one show about four nights a week before bed and not being able to even do that was hard. I am so thankful for my DVR that so graciously recorded my shows for me to catch up on this week. What would I have done without it?
These are some things I learned/remembered this week:
Silence is peaceful.
TV controls me more than I thought.
I am a competitive game player even with my kids.
Spending quality time with my children is vitally important.
I LOVE to read.
Cutting out less important things makes time for more important things.
The term "Everything In Moderation" doesn't only apply to food.
With the success of this past week I have decided to implement this challenge more often, maybe every quarter? I encourage everyone to try it. The results may surprise you.
Goodbye
4 days ago
13 comments:
Way to go. I love my shows like you to help wind down at the end of the day but I also love being able to turn on a movie or show while I take a shower or finish a project. Yes I use the tevevision as a babysitter. I don't know if I would be able to make it as long as you.
Big gigantic kudos to you and your fabulous kids!
You are right - we ALL should implement that every once in a while!
...and just for the record....
We all missed your blogging, too.
You're awesome!
What an accomplishment!
Way to go girl. hmm. We made it 3 days. Well my kids did! Did that mean US too? Oh well, there is always next year. Good job. oh BTW...We're on for Sat. 7 IS a lucky number!
The great tv turn off! I'm all for it, but the boys would probably wreak havoc while I'm in the shower. They do that anyway even with the screen on. hmm. maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Congratulations!!
My kids made it 5 days too - and just for the record I feel the same way - 5 days of success rather than quitting 2 days early! I think our week went better too, my kids didn't even care after day 2!
Way to go...we didn't do that at our house. I can't survive single motherhood without the TV in the evenings. When Jared is out of town I usually let the kids watch a show or movie in the evening...I know, bad mother! :)
Good for you guys!! Remember all those power outages this Winter, I actually enjoyed them! Little moments of peace and quiet but I really don't know how we would do for a week! We were out of town last week and I laughed at the thought of telling my sister (who was watching the kids) to turn everything off for a week!! Maybe next year, thanks for the inspiration!
Way to go Laura. I know this challenge would be a lot harder for me than it would for the kids. I love what you learned from this week too. Thanks for sharing.
Welcome back...we missed you! I find that I'm more of a blogger as well. Good for you to sticking to it for the 5 days! I didn't realize that our school was doing the same thing last week. Funny, Gavin never mentioned it!! Maybe I should READ the newsletters from school before I toss them!
Great job! You all did better than dad and I would have.
SO great Lara. Yes, I think I need TV and food in moderation. Thanks for the inspiration.
Post a Comment