It has a been a tradition in our home for quite some time for the kids to make a little tent/fort to watch General Conference in. I liken it to the days of King Benjamin when people gathered and pitched their tents to listen to the prophet.
In their little tent they work on all the activities I print off the Internet to keep them busy while they watch. After I am done printing all the activities I think to myself that this will for sure keep them busy for hours.
It usually lasts for about 10 minutes. (It takes me about twice that just to print everything off). What I wish I could say is that my kids sit quietly and listen to all sessions but that is just not the case. We usually end up listening to at least one session in the car while on a drive for a change of scenery. What helps your kiddies during General Conference? I would LOVE to know. And is there really such a thing as a family where young kids actually sit and reverently watch?By the way, wasn't it great?! The best conference yet.
I say that every year.
One more thing, I have to also add that I am very proud of Emma. She watched more of Conference than the rest of the kids. When asked what she remembered most about Conference, she said that she heard the speakers talk mostly about Temples and Faith. I think that is what I would have said myself. Emma was a very good example to her younger siblings.
6 comments:
Great choice Emma! I always said when kids are baptized they need to watch conference, but the truth being that we were lucky if they watched the entire prophet's talk. All I can say is it does improve with age. It was a great conference, and without the little ones, we watched the whole thing Saturday and Sunday. Your time will come too soon.
Today we did the last session of conference at Lisa's house with her 4 kids, my 4 kids and Julie and her 4 kids. Grandma had sent along a packet for each grandkid to do during conference. Which worked great for the first half hour. We had 5 kids 4 yrs old and under, they didn't keep quite and occupied for long. Meanwhile Cody was trying to take notes for Seminary (he's 14)and he kept turning the volume up louder and louder. It was interesting. Don't feel bad if your kids can't sit through it either. As long as they get a few minutes in, I think it's worth the effort.
What a little sweetheart that Emma. My kids watched alot more this year too, and I was proud of them. Yes, I loved conference and I would agree with Emma- temples and faith. I really liked Elder Holland's talk about the atonement. I think that was my favorite talk this conference.
I love the fort idea! I rely on the activities from the computer too...the word searches, coloring pages, bingo, scrambled words, color in the faces, ties of speakers, you know - everything I could find! This year all three of the kids made it through the entire first session - all but the last 10 minutes. I wish I could hug those creative people that made my day easier. My fav part was the story Pres Monson told about the lady who lost all her children and then the song at the end with the sildeshow of Pres Monson just topped it off - I was in tears. Hey the drive is a good idea - maybe I will try that in the fall! Thanks for the tip!! :)
I was so worried that you were going to write that your kids were quiet reverent angels through conference! Phew!!
This year was surprisingly pretty good for us. Fruit loop necklaces worked GREAT for the two year old (and actually ALL the kids got in on the eating of the fruit loops!).
Emma voluntarily sat through almost an entire session ON SATURDAY - which was awesome to me! Sunday we pulled out some beads and she made a few bracelets and necklaces. I always worry about promoting them to not listen if they are busy doing other things, but it has worked for us to have something quiet for their hands to do, and hopefully their ears will be listening. Tyler sketched a little bit.
We also do the things you can print off the internet. Last year I copied a TON of stuff for them to do, and it kept them engaged for a little while. A fairly small tiny little while (compared to the time I spent printing, copying, and collating). So this year I opted to keep it very simple, so we just used the paper they came home from primary with - it had a spot to write down 4 speakers - what they talked about, and what you would do apply it to your life. And that was their assignment - to write notes on four talks. It made for a good family night the next night too.
(sorry this comment was LONG!)
Post a Comment