Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Party Pooper

Happy St. Patrick's Day...
...or maybe not so much for me.

This is my problem. Every year I try to go all out to make St Patty's Day a fun one. Click here to see last year's festivities. Donovan O'Reilly, our very own leprochaun that suprises us every year, came again this year. He left the kids with oodles of gold treats which is the only thing they love about Green Day. That and being able to pinch people, but Mr. O'Reilly also turned our milk green which made the kids not want to eat their Lucky Charms. Next, I ran to Wal Mart to grab some cabbage to go with our corned beef that I am making for dinner and they were totally out. The nerve. Speaking of our dinner, the kids won't eat corned beef and cabbage so it really is just for me and Lee. And the green mint ice cream wasn't a huge hit last year either. My point is I need some new kid friendly St. Patty's Day ideas. What traditions do you have?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, this comment is pointless because I have no suggestions for you. We don't get into St. Patty's day too heavily. This year the kids were lucky that I even remembered to put green shirts on them. I used to eat cereal with green milk on St. Patrick's Day when I was a kid. As much as I hated it, I looked forward to it and will always remember it. I wouldn't tell Mr. O'Reilly to stop doing it, maybe next year you guys can have green eggs and ham.

Jewels said...

Well cored beef and cabbage is disgusting so I don't blame them there but hello, mint chocolate chip ice cream is the best ice cream in the whole world!! I make green eggs and ham but I can't say that goes over all that well either! Maybe we need to create a different color holiday! Glad your having fun anyway!! Is Ella still feeling yucky? Tanner said she wasn't at preschool today, hope all is well!

Ange said...

We've tried the green eggs and ham....however - I can't remember if we tried blue food coloring first? (Blue food coloring/yellow eggs...makes green, right?) WRONG. Then I think we did add some green food coloring.
The eggs were this awful awful color of brown/grey blech. I told Jason there was NO WAY on earth the kids would eat it. BUT...since Dad was cooking, and the kids usually think that's cool...He called the gross-looking-egg-blech "Gray-matter" and the kids LAPPED it up! Not even kidding. If I had made that, not a single one of them would have touched it.
Anyway - it wasn't green, but everyone still remembers the St. Patricks day that we ate gray-matter.
We usually do green pancakes, green kool-aid, broccoli, peas, and green mashed potatoes are pretty fun, too. And Julie is right - Mint chocolate chip is the best!
....however.....this year we were completely lame. I hadn't planned for it when I grocery shopped, realized a little too late that we were out of green food coloring, and decided I was NOT going back to the store just for St. Patricks day food. Boring mom.
I know several people do have a leprechaun visit their homes, and Emma has asked several times why thy leprechauns don't bring gifts to our house.
Again....boring mom.

Mechelle said...

This year I took the easy way out and dyed their oatmeal green. Big whoop! However, I did boil the oatmeal in apple juice like I saw on Oprah - that is special right? I should make it more special since the Wingles come straight from Limerick - maybe next year:)

mandi said...

green hard boiled eggs, green milk, gold coins, sneaky note on the mirror, little green shamrocks mysteriously "kissed" onto their hands. That's the extent of it. They get pretty thrilled anyway.

Shill and Company said...

Wow, I feel el lame-o! We don't do much to celebrate St. Patty's Day. I feel like I'm still trying to recover from Valentine's Day. It comes too quickly. :)