Saturday, October 20, 2007

We'll Miss You, Debbie!

This week I (Lara) flew to Cali for my aunt Debbie who passed away a week ago. Her memorial service was Wednesday. My mom, dad, and myself took a quick trip and I am so glad we did. It was so nice to be there with the fam. Debbie had been suffering with Alzheimer's Disease for over 10 years. She was only in her early forties when she was diagnosed which is SO young!

She was such an amazing person. No one ever saw her without a smile. She was so happy and lived life to the fullest! She instantly loved you, no matter who you were, unconditionally. She was such an example to me of kindness and charity. And what a wonderful mother she was! Jack, her husband and my uncle, said at the service that he had the most perfect 30 years being married to Debbie and it was so obvious! They were such love birds and so obviously in love with one another.

Seeing Debbie slip away little by little over the years was devastating to everyone. No one expects to have to take care of their mom at such a young age. But unfortunately that is just what Coral had to do. She has been so amazing with her mother and I just cannot imagine how difficult that must have been. Debbie was not the first in her family to die from this dreadful disease. Her grandmother and mother passed away as well, and her brother was just diagnosed.
My father spoke at her service and he concluded with a poem:


God saw you were getting tired, and a cure was not to be...
So He put His arms around you, and whispered, "Come To Me."
With tearful eyes we watched you suffer and saw you fade away...
Although we loved you dearly, we could not make you stay.
A golden heart stopped beating; working hands were put to rest...
God calmed our hearts to show us that He only takes the "BEST".
This picture of Ella and Debbie was taken right before her health started to really decline fast. It was so sweet. I just had to include it.
What a perfect poem for Debbie. She was truly "the BEST" and how comforting it is to know that we will see her gorgeous smiling face again! If I had only one word to summarize Debbie, I think it would be LOVE, because she loved life, she loved people, and she loved the church. And we love you, Debbie! We'll miss you!

4 comments:

Shill and Company said...

She was beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss. I am so glad that you were able to go to her funeral Lara and be with your sweet family.

Julie said...

Beautifully said, Lara! I loved your tribute at the funeral as well...all of those words mean "Debbie" to me as well (even fluff). Great to see you...for a bit! I wish my scanner was working...I have cute pictures that I can't include on my posts (argh!) I love that picture that you posted...you can see the twinkle in her eyes!

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

You gave a great tribute to Debbie. Her family knows how much they were loved because she told them and showed them all the time. That's more than many people can say after a family member dies. There should be no regrets in this family. Jack and his family took very good care of Debbie, just as she would have done for any of them.

cheryl said...

Oh Lara you made me cry. I can't believe I haven't been on your blog or anyones for that matter for so long. What a sweet tribute to sweet Aunt Debbie. I have been wanting to write about her too so today I will. I was just looking for a good time to do it (You know, alone time) but after reading what you wrote it seems like a good time now.