Sunday, March 13, 2011

Juab County

Early in the school year, Eva found out that she was going to be doing a project on Juab County in her class, due in May. We knew at some point we would need to visit. Yesterday, we woke up and felt like it was a good day for a road trip, so off we went.



"Juab" is of Ute Indian origin and means flat, or level. Boy, those Utes weren't kidding. There wasn't much there but flat and level terrain.

We went to the Tintic Mining Museum but it was closed. The nerve. We discovered that at one point toward the end of the 1800's Juab County was the richest mining district in the whole nation. Pretty cool.







The Eureka City Hall was built in 1899 and they still use it as their City Hall to this day. My kids were afraid of this building. They were convinced it was haunted.






Porter Rockwell's log cabin was pretty neat. The kids got a big kick out of peering through the windows to see all the furnishings and knick knacks and stuff.

By far the biggest hit of the whole trip was visiting the Little Sahara Sand Dunes. The kids had SO much fun! We could have stayed all day. I should have taken a picture of our car when we got home though. I think we took half the sand dunes home with us.

Towards the end of the day Lee was growing a little tired of Emma. Let's just say he took care of her...



It was getting late but we decided to try to drive to Topaz Mountain before it got dark. There you can dig for real topaz and keep whatever you find. The only thing was we didn't realize you had to like actually hike into the mountain and use actual tools to find the topaz. It was getting dark and we had a LONG journey home so we abandoned that idea. Speaking of abandoned, the trip out to Topaz Mountain was so remote and in the middle of nowhere I almost had a panic attack. I kept picturing our car breaking down, starving to death after weeks of being stuck out there and vultures eating our carcasses.



Despite the grim thoughts near the end of our trip, I thought the day was a fun little adventure, except that we didn't have enough time to do all that we wanted to do. I will even go so far as to say that we could go back one day, maybe next time with 4 wheelers.

3 comments:

Ange said...

So so fun!!!
Emma's doing her report on Juab as well - I've got a sister that lives down in Mona who is willing to show us around town :)
What a great way to spend a Saturday!

Shill and Company said...

What a great little trip! That video clip with Lee & Emma was hilarious! I have camped at Topaz Mountain. I actually found quite a few pieces without much effort at all. Very fun place to visit.

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

I would plan another trip and take my tools! It looks like a great day! Very funny video. Was Emma full of sand after that?