Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My "Poopy" Mother's Day


I usually do not really care for Mother's Day festivities. In the past, I have thought that my husband can read my mind. So when he doesn't read my mind and I don't receive what I was thinking he would (or should) give me, I get upset, but of course I never show it. That is why I don't do Mother's Day really well. I have learned to expect nothing and just enjoy the day with my family. But this year I needed something. I needed to have a good Mother's Day. That is why I told Lee exactly what I wanted. A Cold Stone Cake. That's it. I am a simple gal. I couldn't wait. I was wondering what kind it would be, if I would have to share it with the kids, if I could have a nice big slice while I watched the rest of Pride and Prejudice (Thanks MW).


*
I went to bed early Saturday night. I was emotionally drained and overall, tired. As I was laying in bed I heard all of my little elves getting things ready for the next day. I went to bed with a smile on my face, anticipating my yummy cake and the darling homemade gifts from the kids.


*
I woke up thinking I would take a shower and get ready for church before going downstairs. Lee had meetings like he does every Sunday morning, but I had a hunch he and the kids left me something special downstairs. As I was getting ready, Eva came up to inform me that Sonny (one of our cats) had even left me a little gift for Mother's Day. At first I thought, oh how cute that Lee would get me a gift and put Sonny's name on it. Then I realized that it was probably not what Eva meant. She then told me it was a mess and I knew exactly what she meant. My kids tried to explain to me that Dad, thinking he was being helpful, put Monte in the basement the night before and shut the door so that he could not knock over the pretty vase of flowers that Dad got for me. Monte loves flowers and always knocks them over. But Dad forgot the fact that we have two cats that need access to the basement to get to their litter boxes. Sonny could not get to his. To make matters worse the cats were left with no food in their bowls (remember I went to bed early) so I imagine Sonny got pretty hungry during the night and decided that instead of going hungry he would help himself to our tomato plants that were on our table waiting to be planted. I don't think his tummy liked the tomato plants because the "present" he left for me that Eva was talking about was diarrhea and throw up all over my house.


*
So, when I came downstairs I had a huge mess to clean up to say the least. I was fuming! Why in the world would Lee think it was OK to close the basement door? Why couldn't he just put the flowers on the mantle out of Monte's reach? Why didn't anyone notice the cats had no food before going to bed? This giant mess could have easily been prevented with a little common sense. Instead, I was stuck cleaning it all up, on Mother's Day, in my church clothes. As soon as I got to church I was going to let Lee have it!


*
When I finished cleaning up I decided to take a look at all the little gifts and cards. Aren't homemade gifts from kids the best thing ever? They were so cute and they even made me a big sign. Then I saw Lee's note. It said the usual Happy Mother's Day, I love you stuff, which for some reason made me even more furious after what I just had to clean up. It also said that he made reservations for The Roof for us, but if he would have took a gander at my planner that was laying open about three feet away he would have noticed we can't go at that time. The note also said to plan on a lobster dinner and creme brule for dessert when he got home after his after church meetings. I have to admit that after hearing about the lobster dinner I almost forgot about the yucky mess. Then I realized the note said nothing about a Cold Stone Cake. How come? And why would he make creme brule if we were going to have cake?


*
I soon realized there was no cake. I ran to the freezer to double check. Sure enough, no cake. How could this be? No cake? That is all I wanted, all I needed!!! Oh, Lee was going to get it. I took the kids to church nice and early so I could have a chance to "talk" to Lee before it started. By the time we drove there I decided I would tone things down and try to just nicely explain what happened. After all, we were at church. Well, Lee saw right through my nice act. He knew I was T-O'd. And then because he happened to be conducting he had the nerve to tell the whole ward what had happened to me that morning. I was done with Lee and his poor choices.


*
As I was sitting there I knew I needed to forgive Lee and realize he really tried to make my Mother's Day nice. It's just that he is not as smart as me and that is of no fault of his own. So I forgave him. I still had my lobster dinner and creme brule to look forward to.


*
Lee came rolling in around 5:30, took out the lobster and thought for a minute. He then asked me how bad I wanted lobster. He said something about it needing to thaw in the fridge for hours and hours. I gave him the "whatever" look and at that point I knew exactly what I wanted to do with that lobster. So instead we had hamburgers. Oh yeah, the creme brule didn't happen either.


*
Now that I have had a couple of days to think about it maybe I was a little hard on Lee. Wait, no, I don't think I was. But I will say this in his defense. He is always the generous and thoughtful one on special occasions. He usually always pulls through. That is one of the reasons why I love him so much. Everyone is entitled to an off day, right? Even if that "off" day was a day I really needed to be an "on" day. Lee rescheduled a date for The Roof and he did make lobster and creme brule the next night for me and it was divine!!! Even though my Mother's Day was a "poopy" one, I still love him and wouldn't trade my hubby for anything...except maybe a Cold Stone Cake.

8 comments:

Mechelle said...

Darn it, that is a bummer (no pun intended). Those meetings>/ I missed my breakfast in bed last year and was not going to miss it again - fasting will just have to switch days. Breakfast in bed is my Cold stone cake.
Anyway, at Women's Conference I attended a talk about humor and the speaker gave all sorts of "it wasn't funny then...". We were all rolling and your story would fit right in!

Danika said...

Sorry to hear it was a rough day. At least you didn't have to speak in sacrament meeting, though! :)

Shill and Company said...

that's a big bummer, sorry that Sonny did all that stuff

Shill and Company said...

Previous message was from Hannah.

Oh Lara! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when reading this post. I was leaning more toward the latter however.

Sounds like things got much better the next day, and you will have some happy times ahead of you on your hot date to The Roof. Lobster and Creme Brule...hubba hubba. Sounds like Lee tried really hard to make things right.

mandi said...

I think it was ingrained in me from childhood to loathe Mother's day. Every year I swear up and down that I won't, but every year I end up being a nasty evil mess. (even if only on the inside.) This year at least it didn't happen until late afternoon. Maybe over the next few years it will get later and later in the day until it happens after I go to sleep.
Glad I'm not alone.

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

I did tell you that you'd probably get your dinner the next day! And I didn't talk to Lee either. He really is very thoughtful. Chalk this Mother's Day up to a great personal history entry. If you collect a few more you can make some big bucks writing a book about them all!!

Ange said...

What an adventure for you!
Thanks for the example of being forgiving, I definitely need to work on that this week - mothers day was quite 'poopy' at our house as well.
Glad it all turned out well in the end, and creme brule???? That Definitely would win back some husband points :)

Jewels said...

Oh Lara, what a yucky week all together for you! I hate it when you "drop" hints and they still don't pull through! I too love Cold Stone Cake, now you have me craving it. I have to admit that I laughed at Lee's testimony on Sunday but not so much when I read your blog-I'm so sorry! Here's to a better week!!