Friday, January 8, 2010

Perfect

...I don't know how else to describe the past few weeks. I truly feel so blessed and so fortunate to have my life. I don't know what I ever did to receive such an amazing gift. There was happiness in abundance this holiday season.

Ben's little first grade class put on a darling program for the parents. He had some cute parts but this part stole my heart...


Did you see that look he gave me after he blew me a kiss? I love him!

Santa visited our ward party this year. All our kids (except Eva) couldn't wait to have a turn on his lap...

I think Eva was a little wierded out by the idea. I don't blame her.

On Christmas Eve Eve we went to my brothers house for soup and scones and a highly entertaining variety show. I am really hoping that becomes a tradition. It was top notch entertainment.

On Christmas Eve they came to our house, as well as my Mom and Dad. We had a feast and reenacted the variety show for my parents. All the cousins opened up their jammies...


...and they also performed an impromptu "1st Christmas". I got such a kick out of what they came up with to wear. They are so creative...

Lee also played a few songs on the guitar for us all, one of which he wrote last year. If you would like to hear it go HERE.
We all know that Lee is usually the one to surprise me. Well, I am proud to say that this year I turned the tables. I couldn't wait any longer and made him open my present on Christmas Eve. He had no idea I was getting something for him.

I got him a sweet ukulele, real koa wood and all. To say he was surprised doesn't do it justice. He immediately started playing it. He has already written several songs and I LOVE hearing Somewhere Over The Rainbow on the ukulele. So beautiful! Lee's musical talents bring me so much joy!

Before the night was over Lee read the kids "The Night Before Christmas" which is one of the traditions in our home...


My parents stayed the night which was so fun to have them there for Christmas morning. Although this year wasn't really about Christmas morning for us, the kids were able to open some really nice gifts which made them very happy. The biggest hit of the morning was the Wii they have been dying to get. Nani, and Grammie and Papa made that one possible and the kids have really been enjoying it, although they haven't been glued to it which is another reason why I love my kids so much.



I think the only thing that could have made this Christmas season better was if we could have seen my brother Eric and his family and Lee's family as well. We REALLY missed them all.

For New Year's, Lee and I dropped the kids off at Grammie and Papa's and we headed up to Idaho Falls. We wanted to get away and decided to take Nani up on her offer. She loves the Idaho Falls Temple and has been wanting us to take a visit up there. We were lucky enough to get a hotel room with this view...


Unfortunately, it had just snowed a ton so we weren't able to view the beautiful Snake River which flows right next to the temple. That just means that we will have to go back in the Spring.

The Idaho Falls Temple in all its wintery glory!


Since the temple was closed on New Years, we went out to dinner and hit a double header at the movies. We saw Blindside and Avatar 3D. I would highly recommend both movies.

The next morning we got up early and spent the whole morning in the temple doing work for both sides of our family. It was absolutely the perfect way to start the new year. Thank you Nani and Grammie and Papa for making that possible.

Here are a few pictures of what the kids did while we were away...
They made snow cones fresh from the backyard
They built a cute little snowman

And of course, they went sledding.
This girl has no fear

Ben is so happy!
The older girls apparently decided to try the off road sledding option.

On top of all of the holiday goodness we experienced, I also received a new calling. I am the new Nursery Leader for our ward and couldn't be more excited. I have been sad that Ella is getting so big and we no longer have any little ones around. I now have thirty seven (and counting) little ones to fill that void. I come home exhausted every Sunday, but it is very rewarding at the same time.

I think the cherry on top of our holiday sundae is the fact that Lee's company is finally realizing just how vital he is to their success. It has been so frustrating for me to sit and watch Lee work his fingers to the bone for pennies. Things are turning around and we are beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel. It may not be immediate but his future there looks very bright!

2009 was a crazy roller coaster year for us. But through it all we learned so much and grew spiritually, more than we ever thought possible. And for that I am so thankful. I truly feel like life could not get more perfect at the moment. I don't know how long it will last but I will treasure every moment.

9 comments:

Mechelle said...

Fantastic Lara. You guys really deserve it!

Danika said...

I'm so glad you had a good holidays - I loved your photo card!

Getaways without kids are wonderful, aren't they? I think they should be a yearly requirement for every couple.

And nursery leader over 37 kids?!? And I thought our nurseries were big...

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

We will continue to pray that 2010 is the best year for all our family and friends! I think Ryan and Cheryl are due for a get-a-way too. Maybe the next snow storm will work for them. too. Wish Eric and Julie we closer so we could give them a break as well.

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

I need to proof read before I click.

mandi said...

Whew! I'm exhausted from reading!
I feel like 2009 was just laying the groundwork for an amazing 2010. Here we go!!

Julie said...

Awesome post, Lara! I was beginning to wonder when we'd get to hear from you again!! What an amazing hotel room view! Every hotel view I get seems to be freeway, busy street, or dead trees...maybe I should head to Idaho Falls!

I'm so glad things are looking up for you and Lee! Eric and I were just talking about you yesterday, and what a hard worker Lee is. He's a good man. Finally, his boss can see it too!

Happy 2010!

ps-loved that little grin Ben gave you after his blown kiss! He loves his Mama!!! So sweet!

Ange said...

Lara - you have an amazingly infectious love for life, and every time I read your blog I come away with a greater desire to do good, and love the journey.
You're awesome!

Laura said...

Lara, I love that temple too. I've only seen it in the snow like that, so I can imagine how beautiful it looks in the summer. I'm glad you were able to have a little trip away. What a great way to start the new year.

Cheryl said...

I love Ben's cute little face after blowing you that kiss. Christmas Eve Eve and Christmas Eve were so fun!! Can't wait until next year.