Thursday, November 12, 2009

Open Wide...

Do you remember this memorable day at the Dentist from last year? I couldn't believe how smooth everything went. I want that day back. We recently went in for our checkups/cleanings and, let's just say it was not as pleasant. Since then, we have spent just about all of our extra time at the dentist:

Last week Emma had one cavity filled and Eva had two. Eva also went to the orthodontist. Looks like she will be needing braces sooner than later.

This week Ella had her first cavity filled, Eva had to have three more cavities filled and Ben had one cavity filled and two teeth pulled.

Next week I will be getting my three remaining wisdom teeth extracted, Ben has one more cavity to be filled and Emma has a turn at the orthodontist.

A few things I have learned from this:
Nitrous does not work on Eva.
Nitrous works really well on Ben and Ella.
You better believe we'll be flossing more often.
My kids are the toughest, bravest people I know.
Giving blood, getting shots and other yucky doctor stuff does not phase me. Going to the dentist scares me to death! I am SO nervous about next week. I am feeling like I need to hurry and update my will.

All I am seeing are dollar signs whenever I close my eyes.

Dental gods, have mercy on us!

8 comments:

Mechelle said...

Lara, in full on labor I said I would rather be there than at the dentist. I am convinced it is less about the pain and more about the humiliation. There are very little things I hate but the dentist tops that list. At least next week you can skip the sound of the drill!

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

After next week it will be over and for a long time hopefully. Good luck with yours. This too shall pass.

Laura said...

Lara I have the SAME fear. I hate going to the dentist (it does not help that my husband IS the dentist). I have always had a phobia of going to the dentist, I would rather see my gynocolgist- it's that bad.

mandi said...

I had a FANTASTIC experience with my wisdom teeth- all four came out without a hitch, I barely swelled, and was back up and around within a day. Hardly any pain. I think my surgeon had a direct link to the divine. Do you want his number?
Good luck- it will really be okay. Why don't you take matters into your own hands and take a bunch of morphine beforehand an have Lee carry you in pre-sedated.

Lauren said...

Good luck Lara! Hopefully everything will go well.

Looking on the bright side, I had to have my first root-canal this year. It took me 6 months to get it completely fixed. Which I must admit was a pain that it took that long, but I think it has finally cured my fear of the dentist. I saw him so often that we feel like old buddies.

Good Luck!

Cheryl said...

That picture scared me, did it scare anyone else? Sorry to hear about dentist woes! No fun. Beau had 8 cavities 2 visits ago, and last month Liv had 2 baby root canals. My brothers would not be happy with me!

Ange said...

Wow....your life sounds like my life. Only the vast majority of the dental visits are for ME. I was blessed (or cursed rather) by the Dental Gods with the mouth from outer-darkness. I know all the names of the tools, the dental jargon, the teeth numbers, not to mention the dentist himself and all the staff - by name.....and we have probably single-handedly paid for his fancy truck and most of his schooling :)

I'm sure your cute kids got their bravery from you - so you'll be just fine next week!

Need a sitter while you go in? I'd love to take some kids!

Donahoe Family said...

I'm sorry, I can't even comment on this post because I am having an anxiety attack just reading it....I HATE THE DENTIST TOO!!! Nuff said!
Oh, and good luck! You will be in my prayers!