Friday, February 27, 2009

What's In A Name?

I was recently reminded of how I got my name. I think it is a cute little story to document so I thought I would share. It goes like this...
There was a young girl that lived down the street from my family. My two older brothers (above) were smitten by her. They thought she was so pretty and smart and funny and nice, the whole package. Her name was Lara. When my mom was pregnant with me my brothers knew the perfect name for me and they suggested she name me Lara. After I was born the other Lara quickly became known as "Big Lara" and I was "Little Lara" until we moved from the neighborhood when I was five or six. I always felt special to share the same name with a girl who I later grew to look up to as well.
My children:
Emma Lee - I always loved the name Emma. I thought it a very feminine and timeless name. Her middle name obviously was after her daddy, who loves and cherishes her as I do. Her grandmother's middle name (Lee's mom) is also Lee which is very special too.
Eva Belle - Once again, a feminine and timeless name. I pictured a tall, gorgeous scandinavian blonde being named Eva. So far she has lived up to her name. Belle comes from her paternal great grandmother's maiden name "Bell". We added the "e" at the end so it could also mean beautiful, which she is.
One cute fact we have since discovered is that there is both an Emma Lee and an Eva Belle in my mother's family history. That is kind of spooky but very cool to learn that after we had named our girls.
Benjamin Rex - I have to admit that I was never a fan of Benjamin but always loved Ben. I vowed to never call him by his full name but now I think I call him that more than just Ben, especially when he is naughty. We named him Benjamin after King Benjamin and his middle name comes from my father, Rex, which actually means "Kingly" in latin. We really do have our own little King Benjamin.
Ella Rae - All throughout my pregnancy we called the baby "Ruby". We just loved that name and that's what we planned on naming her. Then she came out and just did not look like a Ruby so at the last minute we changed her name to match her sisters, Ella. Now I could never picture her with a name other than Ella. We probably should have just named her Gal since that is all we call her.
Before I tell you how Ella got her middle name I first have to tell you my middle name. It is Gay. Yes, Gay. My mom loved it because it meant "happy", but I hated it for its other meaning. I would make up middle names if somebody asked, like Gayle, or Ann. It wasn't until my later years in high school that I decided to not care. Anyway, my grandmothers names were Fay and May and my mother didn't want to have to choose between the two so she named me something that rhymes with both of them. I decided to carry on the tradition with Ella. First there was Fay and May, then there was Gay, and then finally Rae.
So there's a little history of how we got our names.
How did you get your name?

6 comments:

Mechelle said...

I have a sister and a sister-in-law with the middle name "Gay". My mom says it is a shame that the meaning has changed because it was a word used a lot where no other word could do justice. SO, say it proud!

I LOOOve your girls' names and Ben is a favorite nephew of mine!

Jewels said...

I love how your brothers are holding hands in that picture-so sweet!! Thanks for sharing this, so fun to learn!! My poor Austin is the only one with a sad name story. You see Cameron's middle name is Allen after my dad and Tanner's middle name is Paul after Chad's dad but poor Austin's middle name is John, where does it come from you ask. Well, none other then the John Elway (former quarterback of the Denver Bronco Football Team)!! Chad has always wanted to name one of our kids Tyrone Elway and I compromised with John. Luck would have it that after we chose the name he was even born on John Elway's birthday!! So sad, so very very sad!

Lauren said...

I love that picture of you and your brothers. That is priceless.

I am not sure where why my parents named me Lauren. I know that the only other "Lauren" they had heard of was an old actress named Lauren Becall, although I know that I was not named for her.

It is my understanding that I was supposed to be my parents long sought after son, Ryan Wade. (In the days before ultrasounds. . .) To my parents suprise, they had another ballerina instead of a basketball player. I have thought about using the name Ryan Wade though.

Shill and Company said...

That was fun to read about the naming of your children as well as yourself. Very cool that you even found some of the same names in your family history.

My father fell in love with the name Christiane while serving a mission in France. When he and my mom got married, he was bound and determined to use it. The only problem was my moms greatest nemesis growing up in school was named Christiane. She wanted to name me Sabrina or Gabrielle instead. She still says that I should have been a "Gabby," due to how much I like to talk. Anyway, my dad won that one I guess.

Shill and Company said...

Oh, one more thing. Because of my mom's detest for my given name, that is why I have almost always gone by Chrissie. So I guess she didn't completely give in. :)

Laura said...

Lara, such a cute story. We too had a "Big" Jenny and a "Little" Jenny in our neighborhood. I love that picture!