Friday, February 20, 2009

"It Just Tastes So Good" - Ella Explaining Why She Sucks Her Thumb

Yesterday, as we all were getting out of the van little Ella attempted to close the sliding door all by herself. She's a big girl you know. The next thing I heard was a blood curdling scream. I dropped everything I was holding and ran to the other side of the van which seemed like it took an eternity.
*
And that's when I saw her. Gal had done a great job shutting the door but managed to shut four of her fingers in the door also. They were stuck. I swear it took me over an hour to get to the door and open it to free her chubby little niblets.
*
When I finally did I scooped her up and ran to the house not sure of what I would see when I actually looked. I sat down with her on my lap all the while Ella was screaming and I was wishing I could take her sadness from her. The other kids began crying rather large crocodile tears too because they love her and it hurt them to see her that way.
*
Then the moment came.
I looked.
Not so bad.
*
I noticed Ella was bending her fingers and I said "Does that hurt to bend your fingers?" She said "No". Then Ella got this big, bright, magnificent smile on her face and said to me, "So I can still suck my thumb!!!!" In that moment all our tears turned to tears of laughter and I knew Ella was going to be just fine.
It was a Thumb Sucking Miracle!

8 comments:

Ange said...

Thank heaven for small miracles!!!!!

Laura said...

I left a comment but for some reason it looks like it didn't take. I was just saying that I always wanted a thumb sucking child because I think it's pathetically cute. And Ella is just such a cutie. Kids take pain so much better than adults, don't they?! Also- Lara I love your new blog look.

Mechelle said...

soooo sweet!

Allen's said...

Ouch! I am glad it wasn't bad! Sometimes when Jake gets really hurt, you can see the worry on Sam's face. It is good to know that they truly love each other even though they don't show it all the time!

Jewels said...

Ouch, poor little thing! I think thumb suckers are adorable too! Tanner was a little thumb sucker and when he was about a year old had to have an IV drip and the nurse was about to put it on his thumbsucking hand, can you imagine!! I made her put it on the other hand and all was well. Both my sisters sucked until they were 8! The bribe was that they could get their ears pierced if they would quit. Ella is such a doll!!

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

Poor little girl! That brought back a horrible memory of you. When I opened the car door and it cut your finger to the bone. You hand was on the back part of the door, never thinking it could do that. It still gives me the chills. Glad all is okay.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for all the rubber and insulation around the door, that's probably what saved those little fingers. It's always so scary when the kids fingers are caught in something. Your afraid to see what the damage is once they're free. Glad everything was okay!

Shill and Company said...

Wow! That sounds like it could have been so much worse. I am so happy for her that she seems to be okay. That's a blessing! Glad that her thumb is still intact. She is precious sucking on her thumb. She still has years to go. I didn't stop until I was about 9 AND I never had to get braces. Oh yah!

Oh, and I have to also say how extremely sweet are your other kids for their love and concern. They are so great!