Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas 2008

Warning - this could be the longest blog post EVER.

This year for Christmas we decided, at the last minute, to pack up and make a quick trip to California. We thought it would be fun to surprise Lee's family and also see my brother, Eric and his family. I packed everything up in a matter of hours and off we went. Before we left, however, there were a couple of things that had to be done.



Last year I did not get jammies for the kids to open on Christmas Eve. I didn't think they were into it. Well, I was wrong. I really heard about it from my kids and so I made sure I continued the tradition this year. I knew that we would be traveling all Christmas Eve so I let them open their jammies just before we left. Of course they wanted to wear them right away so their PJ's were also their traveling attire.

We also couldn't leave without letting Monte open his presents.
I started having second thoughts about this trip when Ella started asking, "Are we there yet?" and we hadn't even gotten on the freeway. I certainly cannot complain about how my kids travel. They are amazingly good. Taking long car rides is in their blood. Both Lee's and my own childhood is jam packed with long car ride type vacations. Ben made my day when about 9 hours into the ride he said, "This is the funnest day". I did try to make it fun for them. I told them once it got dark to start keeping a look out for Santa's sleigh in the sky, being Christmas Eve and all. I was much more into it than they were however.

Once we made it to Lee's mom's house we were able to get a few hours of sleep before the kids woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed. The kids were so good about letting me get in some pictures before turning them loose with their gifts. I held them in another room to get some photo opps and then I gave them the OK to go take a gander in the living room.

I saw nothing but smiles. I think they were all happy campers.


Both Lee and I agreed that we would not get anything for each other this year. When am I going to learn that Lee doesn't like to follow the rules? He ended up giving me probably the best present I have ever received...

For months I have cut paper plates out of our budget in an attempt to save money. Lee has had to hear me complain about how much I dislike doing dishes. I love this gift because it shows that he listens. I have never before been so excited about paper plates. What a thoughtful little husband I have.

Princess Ella got some more jewels.


Ben was glued to his new DS game and Ella was glued to her cousin Scott.


Lee's brothers were so surprised to see us when they came. They had no idea we were coming. I don't know what David and Gary did to deserve such amazing wives but it must have been good. Wendy and Kristin are amazing, especially with the kids.


They are both going to be such good mommies one day - Kristin sooner than later. I wish I got a picture of her cute little pregnant tummy.


Nani and Gary


Christian always knows how to have fun with the kids.


Eva and Emma often entertained everyone with their piano playing.

When I mentioned that Ella was glued to Scott I wasn't kidding. She was his little shadow the whole day. It warmed my heart.

Something else that warmed my heart was how much time Wendy and Kristin spent playing with the girls. They all made really cool jewelry pieces. It was very sweet.

Speaking of sweet.

Brotherly love

We got to go to Downtown Disney for Christmas dinner which was so much fun for the kids. While we were there we had to make a little stop in the Lego store for Ben.


Even I was amazed at everything that was made completely out of Legos.



I had to take a quick pic of something I miss seeing...Palm Trees.


The next day we took a drive to see the Newport Beach Temple. The person who sealed Lee and I is now the Temple President there. He is an amazing man.

On Saturday we stopped in to visit Eric and Julie and the fam. I don't know why I didn't take more pictures but this picture pretty much sums up the day. Ella is crashed on the couch and the rest of them are on their way to doing the same thing.


The kids sure love their cousins!!

Before we knew it we were heading back home. I had to get a picture of the thermometer in Baker because I have never, in all the years of passing that thing, seen it so low. 41 degrees in Baker?! That's crazy!
Well, as far as the car ride home went, let's just say I choose to remember the car ride there more.
I am so glad we made the decision to go on our little trip. It made this Christmas very special and one we will remember for a very long time. We miss everyone already.

9 comments:

Mechelle said...

I here ya on the paper plates. Seriously, what a thoughtful gift and men think we are so difficult to figure out.

Now let the rationing begin!

Jewels said...

Welcome Home!! I am so glad you had a good trip, and what a fun surprise for your families!! I love the picture of your kids all lined up in their Christmas PJ's-so cute!! Merry Christmas

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

It looks like a good time was had by all.

Lauren said...

What an adventurous family! I am glad you had a fun Christmas trip.

Julie said...

Thanks for making our day merry and bright!!

We loved being with you and we miss you tons!!

Shill and Company said...

I am so glad that you were able to have such a fun Christmas getaway. Sounds like everyone had an enjoyable time!

Anonymous said...

How crazy and how fun! I wish I was as "close" as you. If we tried that, we'd have an 18-20 hour drive ahead of us. What a great gift Lee! I hate dishes too, I use paper plates whenever possible.

Laura said...

Lara, so fun! I LOVE that Lee got you paper plates. He really was thinking about you wasn't he? And I really liked the (pink?) Christmas tree, seriously, that was cute- I want one.

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful surprise to have you guys come down for Christmas!!!!!
I loved it!!!!!!

Happy New Year to you all -- I love you. Nani