Sunday, November 2, 2008

Modern Day Pioneers

Having been born and raised in California I have been impressed with the many stories from friends and family members about all that is going on with Proposition 8. I get tears in my eyes thinking of the countless people lining the intersections with their "Yes on 8" signs. For some it is hard to stand up for what they believe in. They are a little fearful, but they do it. For others, they take charge and even bring their kids to share in the momentous event. They have been asked by the prophet to do whatever they can possibly do for the cause. People are giving money, they are picketing, and they are sacrificing their time. They are also being persecuted and threatened all because of what they believe in. These modern day pioneers are showing extraordinary faith and courage not unlike the pioneers of old. To all of you Californians rallying the cause, thank you for your great example.
We need to win this one!

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

I am with you Lara. Seeing the California people unite for families makes me happy to be a native Californian. I had some reserves about admitting to that not to long ago, but all of that has subsided seeing these wonderful people follow the prophet!

Shill and Company said...

I too have been so impressed by the courage of the members there. It's wonderful to see people stand up for what they believe in.

Julie said...

I can't wait until tomorrow!!

I went out again this week-end to wave signs. This time, I didn't have my kids...just because of scheduling...but, this time I was so glad they weren't there. We were called really mean things. Those in opposition are getting really vocal and exercising their freedom of speech.

As we stood there, we had conversation about not having been asked to cross the plains...aren't we lucky!

It wasn't all bad. In fact it was still mostly positive. We even had a family drive by waving and taking pictures (weird at first) but then they parked their car and joined us for about half an hour! They were from San Diego. They said that nobody is doing this there, but they feel the same way we do and they wanted to help and to take a stand.

I'm so sad that Arnold and now Diane Feinstein (among others) have come out in opposition...we'll see what happens. We've done (and are still doing until tomorrow at 8:00)all that we can!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck voters in California! I wish I still lived there to lend my vote and help for Prop 8.

Ed said...

Found your blog on Mara's...hope you don't mind. Remember us folk in Arizona are voting for this same thing...we have faced some discrimination because we are mormons and are facing some scary stuff...somehow we are forgotten on this issue. Pray for us too please!

ChristianZ said...

I'm watching the results and we are ahead but it is still kind of close.

Beachgrama said...

I'm from Calif. and just wanted to add that San Diego is doing this, I visited my daughter the week before the election and was out with her family standing on the corner, anywhere there are ward members you will see picket signs, before the election different corners were selected at different times.
People on the no side have been more abusive and hateful since the voting was done, and continue to picket temples, they just can't let it go. Reminds me of the song, "Whose on the Lord's side who, now is the time to tell"

Katherine