Friday, July 25, 2008

Crazy For Crawfish

I love Pioneer Day. It's Utah's own unique little holiday. We celebrated by going to Strawberry Reservoir for a little crawfishin.

All you do is tie some bacon to a string and drop it down to the bottom. These little buggers waste no time to get to that bacon. In a matter of seconds we'd all have four and sometimes more on each of our lines.
Emma's thinking "This is all you do?"
Eva's got her net ready to scoop them up.
Ben's got his line in. What all the kids liked about this kind of fishing is that they didn't have to wait for hours to catch one fish. It really was instant success.

Even Lee's waiting for some action.
How cute is this little guy? This is Luke. We came with him and his family.
Luke's daddy, Nick, knows his stuff about a lot of things, crawfish included. He showed Lee how to, oh so gently, rip the tails and claws off and toss the rest.
Ella wasn't too keen on the fishing thing. She decided to observe from afar and was perfectly happy with her chips amongst the noxious weeds.
Ben does this winking thing without realizing it and it always reminds me of Popeye.



Ben decided that he would rather be a "netter" than a fisherman. And he did a great job. He said that he wants to be a "netter" when he grows up. Here he's helping Michelle with her catch.
Lunchtime and Ben just wasn't ready to leave.
For lunch we cooked up our crawfish tails. If you love lobster you would love crawfish. They taste the same. They are just smaller.
While we were waiting for lunch to be ready Emma and Sam found some deserted kites that they had a fun time flying.
What a feast! It is safe to say that we caught well over 200 crawfish. We saved some for another meal which we had for dinner tonight. De-lish!! Whether you eat them or just throw them back, it really is fun seeing how excited the kids get when they catch them. We recommend it to anyone who has kids. They will love it...unless they are Ella.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

They sound delicious -- and fun to catch. News to me that they're in Utah -- you learn something new every day.

See you all soon!

Love, Nani

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

What a fun day! You'll have to take us sometime. Did the kids like to eat the crawfish? We love them, but haven't caught any for many years.

Lara said...

It was so much fun and the crawfish was so good!!!

Lara said...

Sorry that comment above was Emma

Julie said...

I think that I would be more of the "catch and release" type!! Although, my kids have had crawfish and they love it...I just can't do it!! Great memory maker!!!

cheryl said...

Isn't it just cockroaches in the water? Looks like fun, but I really don't think I could eat it. However, I love the post, love the pictures and can't wait to make memories like this with your sweet family.

Lara said...

Cheryl, yes they basically are just cockroaches in the water. But they were tasty cockroaches in the water. ;)

Shill and Company said...

Looks like a blast. That's awesome that they are so easy to catch. We'll have to try it sometime. Much cheaper that buying Lobster at the grocery store, and I am trusting you that they are tasty.

Laura said...

All I can say is, "bacon... who wouldn't come running for bacon?" great idea. I'd practically let someone hook my lip for bacon. My girls love catching crawfish too. What a FUN vacation. You have had a great summer.