Thursday, April 24, 2008

CAUTION!


CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES CAN BE FLAMMABLE!

Emma and Eva always love to put cookies in the microwave just for 10 seconds to soften them up. Well, since Ella wants to be just like her big sisters, she decided to put her cookie in the microwave too. It was right after school got out so I was preoccupied with going through backpacks. The next thing I know my darling, sweet, innocent, could never do anything wrong, two year old was yelling "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy!" I looked over to see smoke billowing out of the microwave, quickly filling our whole kitchen. I think Ella put her cookie in for a little longer than ten seconds. I quickly opened the microwave and was surprised to see the cookie completely engulfed in flames! I immediately grabbed the plate the cookie was on and put it under running water which took care of the fire. But now what to do with all the smoke? I opened windows and doors, but even today the pantry, the whole house, even clothes that were in closets upstairs wreak of smoke. All from one two year old and her chocolate chip cookie.

After the smoke had died down, Ella came up to me and said very seriously, "Promise I will NEVER do that again!"

5 comments:

Julie said...

Who knew that a little chocolate chip cookie could be so destructive?! Cute little Ella...I'm sure she'll stick to her word and never try that again! 10 seconds...10 minutes...what's the difference, right?

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

One lesson down and how many left for her lifetime? At least the consequences were minor. It could have been so much worse, and she now knows what the microwave can really do!

Shill and Company said...

What a story! I'm glad that she called for you when she realized that there was a BIG problem.

You've got to watch the household appliances. I once started a wall on fire at my parents house when the toaster did not pop the bread up when it was toasted. It just stayed down there until it was nice and charred. You can imagine how scared I was to see the toaster and wall engulfed in flames when I re-entered the kitchen. Oops! So, my advice to you then is never leaver a toaster on unattended, and I will keep an eye on the microwave when reheating chocolate chip cookies!!!

cheryl said...

Love the song with the story!

Melly Mel said...

That is good to know! They sound good now!