For a little while now I have heard people talking about Nie Nie, her blog and her story. Here and there I would look at Nie Nie's blog and her sisters as well, but it wasn't until yesterday that I sat down (for hours) and really read them. I have to say that my heart breaks for Nie Nie and her family just like everyone else who reads her story. But what else amazes me is the hundreds of total strangers who are sacrificing their time and talents and doing everything they can do to help. I love reading the many comments of how people's lives have been affected after learning of Nie Nie's story. My life has been affected after hearing and reading about all of these selfless acts. People from all over the world are uniting for one purpose which is to help this sweet family in any way they can. They truly are "losing themselves in the service of others". I am so grateful for examples like these. If you haven't yet been touched by Nie Nie and her story click on one of these pictures to learn more:

I remember one particular time that I was a recipient of an act of service was at Christmas time when I was a teenager and my brothers were both on their missions. I knew that it would be a humble Christmas for our family. Christmas Eve came and my friend Jenni pulled up to my house with her mom to deliver probably a dozen presents to me. They knew our situation and that I was missing my brothers and wanted to do something special. It touched me that they would sacrifice part of their Christmas for me.

I remember one particular time that I was a recipient of an act of service was at Christmas time when I was a teenager and my brothers were both on their missions. I knew that it would be a humble Christmas for our family. Christmas Eve came and my friend Jenni pulled up to my house with her mom to deliver probably a dozen presents to me. They knew our situation and that I was missing my brothers and wanted to do something special. It touched me that they would sacrifice part of their Christmas for me.
*
I love what Pres. Hinckley's father told him: "Forget yourself and go to work!" I think this really applies to serving others. I'd like to challenge you (as well as myself) to do just that. Let's forget ourselves and start thinking of more ways we can help those around us.
7 comments:
Hi Lara,
I love your blog, your kids are so darling and they are getting so big!
We are all doing well, our little Sophia's baptism was yesterday. Where did the time go?
Thank you for visiting my blog, and for being so sweet! I love that you love your cat so much!
great post, Lara. I have been moved by Nie Nie's story too. It really puts things into perspective. Great story about your friend delivering presents for you at Christmas. We too have been the recipient's of such kindness. When we are on the receiving end of such overwhelming generocity and service, it warms our hearts and motivates us to do good for others. Then hopefully we give to others as we have been given and the cycle continues. It feels good on both ends, doesn't it. I will take the challenge! Thanks for the boost.
I should have heeded the warning- my 15 minutes of blog reading time turned into 2.5 hours. I am insanely in love with Nie Nie. She is one rockin' chicklet! Thanks for the link.
I think we would all be better off if we thought less about our stiuations, and went to work trying to make others happy.
That was a great posting Lara. It is so important to serve others. It is very rewarding for everyone involved. You are such a compassionate person. I think it is sweet that Nie Nie has had a great impact on you. I heard about their story on the Today Show. They look like a great family with a lot of love and support.
Thank you for sharing your story about your special Christmas. Chris and I have also been assisted before when times were tough financially. I will never forget the generosity that was delivered to us.
We have to be willing to be the tools in God's hands to assist his children her on earth. You are one of my angels. Thank you for your example!
You are so funny Lara! I am glad to have another blogger friend:)
Lara,
I love that blog too! I haven't had the time to link it yet. In my mind I guess I just keep thinking I don't have the time for that, but I should because it is good for us all to remember what matters most. I am so glad you found us - we are soooo excited to move in too! Funny, I don't think I have ever actually said "excited" and "move" in the same sentence before! Usually it isn't "fun" to move especially because of all of our moves over the last couple years. Anyway, enough of the rambling thoughts. We are thrilled to be neighbors, Abby is absolutely going to LOVE having all the girls in the circle to play with, she's a little outnumbered at home. Love your blog, thanks for looking us up! I will make the time to add your link and Nie Nie's - it's worth it! :)
Post a Comment