Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Roller Coaster Of Emotions



For the past few years I have had a reoccurring dream where I am on a roller coaster that goes out of control and I fall out of my seat thinking that I am plummeting to my death only to be scooped up by the seat on the way down as it continues its course. More on that dream in a minute.


These past few weeks have been quite a roller coaster of emotions for me.


First: We put our dream home up for sale. Lee's job hasn't been going well lately so we thought that we should try to find something a little more affordable to help ease his burden. It has actually been a blessing. It has helped us realize that a dream home doesn't have to be big and fancy and expensive. Any home where we, as a family, can be together and thrive is our new definition of a dream home. The only thing is that people in this area are not really looking for homes like ours right now so it may take a few months...or years... to sell it. During that time Lee's job may pick up and we would be OK financially to stay put. This plays a little with our emotions. Are we staying or are we going? It is a weird position to be in. We are just continually praying that whatever the outcome, it will be in accordance to Heavenly Father's will.


Second: Shortly after we put our house up for sale Ben got his mysterious illness which I won't get into. (Refer to past posts if you do not know what I am talking about.) But during this time I was on my knees more than ever praying to Heavenly Father to help Ben get better and also for the strength for him (and me) to endure it. It was the worst (and longest) week and a half of our lives. But thankfully, we were able to endure it and Ben recovered. Now he is as happy and cute as ever.


Third: Shortly after that, and ever since, I had been convinced that I was pregnant. Not because we planned for it to happen. It was just one time that...well you know what I mean. I didn't tell anyone but Lee, but I just knew that Heavenly Father would take any chance He could get to send one more spirit down. The next day I started seriously stressing. How can we make this work? I gave away everything! I thought I was done. It would be starting all over. I had just finished the "baby chapter" in our little life's book. Well to make matters worse, Ella totally out of the blue asked if "there was just four of us" meaning kids. I said yes. Then she asked me if I had a baby in my tummy. Then a few days later she said, "Mom, can you do this- Hee Hee Hee, Hoo Hoo Hoo?" She was breathing as if she were in a Lamaze class. Why in the world would she say things like this to me? So I decided I would pray once again for Heavenly Father's will to be done. If He thought I could handle it than I would make it work. I began preparing like I was pregnant and tried to make the most of it. I started thinking of who I could call for their old baby clothes. I even started thinking of names for the baby. Well, as of today, I am not pregnant. And I have to say that I am a little sad. Why am I sad when I didn't want this to happen in the first place? So what do I do now? I have no idea!



Never before has this reoccurring dream of mine been so close to reality. This roller coaster we call life sometimes gets so crazy it throws us for a loop. We may fall so far that we don't see how we can make it work out. But then our loving Heavenly Father is always there to scoop us back up. The biggest thing that I have learned from our most recent set of trials is that if we can submit ourselves to the will of the Father we will never truly fall off our roller coaster. How lucky are we to have a Father who knows all, who knows what's best for us? If He thinks I need to go through certain things to learn and grow in order to secure my salvation, then I choose to go through them. Are we not all just lumps of coal who need to endure Heavenly Father's refiners fire in order to become His "diamonds"?

8 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, Lara...I know that feeling well! You feel like throwing your hands up and screaming "What next? Bring it on!!"
I have to admit that I am a little sad that the end of your story didn't go more like...yep...I'm pregnant! You are such a great mom, raising such great kids. Besides, cousins are the best!!
Good luck with your house. Your house is beautiful...your HOME is wherever you make it...like you said.
So, I guess all I can say is fasten your seatbelt, pull down the safety bar, keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times...and enjoy the ride!!
We love you!!

ChristianZ said...

I had an Institute teacher who had four kids with his wife and were done with it until certain things started hinting that a fifth and final child was still coming.

Mara said...

Your blog today was beautiful. I admire your faith and your perspective on life. I have always thought you were a diamond already. Sometimes we just need to be reminded that our lives are not our own.

Shill and Company said...

Life does certainly have its ups and downs. Sometimes I have the type of day that just feels so perfect and I have so much energy and feel like from this day on out everything will run smoothly...to be followed by the next day feeling completely out of control and overwhelmed. I know that we will have challenges to overcome throughout our entire lives. I suppose it's how we face those experiences that really matter.

You have certainly had a lot going on the last month or so. I feel for you guys. I really do think that you have righteous desires and will be blessed.

As far as the pregnancy thing goes, wow. Perhaps if you were feeling sad about not being pregnant, you might want to consider trying again. You and Lee are certainly wonderful parents and any child would be blessed to be a part of your beautiful family.

cheryl said...

Yes, and just when I think I am becoming a diamond, I turn into a lump of coal again. I say, fall off that roller coaster!!!! and let Him catch you and cast your burdens to Him and you will find peace and joy.
And P.S. You can borrow Bitty's clothes! (since you follow our pattern.)

The Ratchford Family said...

Lara,
Sorry about all the stress you guys are having. Your perspective is amazing though. Really in the end all that matters is how we weather the storms in life. I hope things start looking up.

ChristianZ said...

Hey, I like the new theme.

Laura said...

wow that is a roller coaster of events! No wonder you feel like you are falling in your dreams. About the house thing- we never had financial security when I was a kid, no nice cars, no clothes with lables, no lessons or activities and certainly no fancy homes. But everytime we moved, my mom would make the very best of that house. And I always felt love and security and self assurance that I was as good as anybody. That came from something money couldn't buy. I am trying to re create that with my own kids, and it has been nice to live in this old house to show the kids that newer and bigger is NOT always better.. sounds cheesy but true when people say "home is where the heart is". I hope that things settle down for you and that you can gain total peace of mind.
PS- I really like the new look of your blog:)